Wednesday 18 April 2012

The wonder product that tamed my hair - A back story

The last few months I have been a determined woman. My hair is now at a length I have wanted it to be for years. Ever since having to cut it all off due to too much bleaching - they even shaved my neck - about 3 years ago, I have been so careful as to never make the mistake of damaging my hair so much again. I've had it trimmed practically every two months. Yes, this has probably slowed down the process of growing it to a desirable length, however my hairdresser did comment saying I've done well to get it breast length in that space of time. Now the length is sorted, the other issue I had to combat was the frizz. 

My gosh, the frizz. My hair is naturally curly. Sometimes it can just be wavy, sometimes it'll provide me with smooth and luscious curls, but most of the time it will want to be a huge pain in my ass. Over the years, many products claiming to combat frizz have been bought, tried and tested and then banished to gather dust in my cupboards. Some products will not do a thing, others will work, that is until I walk outside into the English weather of course. The final straw came the other day when I was doing the washing up and just by standing over a sink full of hot water, my hair had transformed into a bird's nest. 

I spoke it over with my hairdresser at my last appointment and she suggested a Brazilian....blowdry that is. I was fairly familiar with this treatment. My mother has it done quite regularly, however it can be pricey. For the length and thickness of my hair, I was quoted around the £200 mark. Money I didn't want to spend. So, to the Internet I went. I knew there were such things as at home straightening products as I had tried them back when I was around 14. This was a time when these products only just started coming out in stores. At that same time, I couldn't be bothered spending so many hours on one part of my body. The treatment failed me, or I failed it rather. However, it is now 6 years later and there is a lot more choice on the high street - not to mention my patience has improved. 

Back to the Internet. I started looking around for cheaper alternatives on the Boots website. Quite a few results came up, but thanks to Boots' user reviews, I was able to narrow down what product I should go for. Most of the products came with the same comments, "It ruined my hair" and "it didn't even work". They were all awarded around 2-3 out of 5 stars. I was at a loss. Surely there could be something. Low and behold, I was met with a product that had received the highest rank. It still was an average rating, but I was desperate. The reviews were mixed, many people were stating it was terrible and their hair colour was stripped along with the fact their hair was also brittle afterwards. Others claimed it was amazing and their hair was a lot sleeker and easier to style. That was what I was after, smoother hair. Not necessarily straight hair, just smooth and sleek hair.

I bought the product the other day as part of the 3 for 2 deal Boots currently has on and made sure I had a conditioning mask on hand in case my hair did get damaged. I was lucky enough to have a haircut a few weeks prior, so my hair was in fantastic condition beforehand anyway. After reading the instructions carefully, and realising you have to leave your hair down for 48 hours afterwards without washing it, I planned to do it on my days off from work. It is unfortunate that this product has got so many bad reviews on the Boots website as many people seem to complain about the smell. Clearly stated on the side of the box, it comments saying it has a 'distinctive smell' and that it will linger in your hair for up to 2 washes. The people who have tried to give this product a bad name clearly haven't read any of the instructions and warnings properly and have never had a chemical treatment done before. 


So, now it's a few days after buying the product and I applied it yesterday. How do you think it went? What is the product in question? Find out in a future post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for your comment, I read each and every one of them and appreciate your time and opinions!